Out of sight, out of mind – it would not be the first time that you would be coming across this phrase. While true to a great extent, there are certain things that, despite being out of sight, should always remain on the mind. One of those things is your HVAC System. Many people put off furnace repairs and maintenance as long as possible, because they don’t want to spend money on it right before the holidays.
There is a great chance that you fall into the category of people who repair their furnace when it stops heating or begins making loud or terrifying noises. However, your furnace may have hidden issues that you are entirely unaware of, attributed to the lack of proper and regular maintenance. The furnace and the rest of the heating system are filled with parts that degrade over time, thus requiring regular maintenance for efficiency. Without routine maintenance, the furnace begins to fail slowly, inevitably leading to very costly repairs.
Read on to know how being inconsistent with your furnace maintenance can be costing you money –
● Increased Energy Bills – A poorly managed furnace will eventually lose its efficiency. This will increase the energy consumption while reaching the temperature set by you, resulting in an increased energy bill.
● Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – A heat exchanger is one of the most important parts of your furnace. It removes carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas that is formed during the combustion process, venting it out and away from your home. Over time, cracks appear in the heat exchanger, allowing carbon monoxide to escape into the building. Since the gas is colorless and odorless, yearly inspection of your furnace is imperative.
● Breakdowns – Furnaces are designed to last 15 to 20 years, provided they receive proper care and maintenance. Neglect causes increased wear and tear, resulting in the breakdown of your furnace long before its expected life span. The price you pay for replacing a part is certainly less than paying for a new furnace after your system fails completely.
● Poor Indoor Air Quality – Ever wonder why there is suddenly more dust right after you turn on the heat? A dirty air filter allows increased contaminants into your home. This, in turn, leads to allergens like dirt, dust, and debris to circulate throughout your home and may even cause health problems for those who suffer from allergies, asthma, or other respiratory issues.
Here are a few tips that can help you ace the basics of a properly maintained furnace –
● You must check your air filter on your own at least once a month. Having it replaced every three months can be highly efficient as well.
● Keep an eye out for any duct leaks, especially around the area near the furnace.
● Get your furnace inspected by a professional at least once a year. With a detailed evaluation of your furnace’s heat exchanger, drainage system, burners, belt, and wiring, you will get a better picture of what needs to be replaced or repaired.
We have all read about how a stitch in time saves nine. Stay on top of your furnace’s maintenance to save money in the long run and have a warm, cozy, and comfortable winter. Call Able Appliance & HVAC Service at 703-330-4772 to get your furnace professionally inspected by experts!